Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Commercial Blog



Over the course of this project I learned a lot about the film-making process. This project marked the first time I made storyboard. I had seen them before during behind the scenes features of films but I never realized just how useful they could be. I also learned problem solving skills during the editing process. I had to work with my limited, at-home resources and I think I did well despite the circumstances. This project also taught me patience, as both editing and filming is a long and tedious process.

Looking back on my project there are a lot of things I would do differently. One of the big things I would do differently was to choose a different product to make a commercial for. I feel like it was challenging for me to replicate the codes and conventions of a maybelline commercial with my limited skills. I think I focused too much on making my commercial unique, instead of making it accurate to the brand. It also does not help that I did 4 different make-up looks and GreatLash is notoriously hard to get off. Regarding some more technical things I want to improve on, I really need to improve the steadiness of my camera. I was lucky enough to have my camera on a solid surface for most of the filming process, but whenever I needed to hold my camera on my own, shots would be shaky and inconsistent. Editing is almost definitely the thing I need to improve on the most. For my next project I want to learn how to fix lighting and speed in editing. I attempted to do that in this project but it ended up looking worse, so I stuck with cuts and transitions. Before my next project I think I will practice editing independently so that I don't struggle as much. Despite the many things I wish I could change and improve upon in my project I am quite proud of it. I still really love my concept of having each scene being in a different decade, and if I had more time and money I would want to go even farther with that concept. All in all, I think this was a fun and educational project that allowed me to be creative.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection (Final Task)

This is my Creative Critical Reflection for my final task. I answered all of the questions in an interview-style by using editing to make it...