Monday, November 2, 2020

Editing Blog

   My editing process began on October 29th as I imported all of the clips onto my computer. While I was waiting for the clips to upload, I recorded my voice over. The first thing I did while editing was cutting anything that was planned on being cut in the first place. One of the things I learned from my last project was that leaving a bit of time before and after you want your scene to end is beneficial. After I trimmed the clips my commercial was about 45 seconds long. I cut the first scene by around four seconds, because it was already the longest scene by quite a bit. After that I was still over by 11 seconds, so I cut the inserts of the eye and the mascara tube. After doing that, each of those inserts were around one second long and I was down to 32 seconds. Finally, I cut the final shot of the Maybelline logo down by 3 seconds. In the end my video ended up being 29 seconds long.

Ensuring smooth transitions was difficult for me. I managed to get by in the first few scenes by cutting scenes extremely closely and making sure they ended naturally. The transition between the stairs and the door was exceptionally difficult for me to edit, because it seemed like no matter how I cut it or what transition effect I added It looked awkward. I ended up trimming the staircase scene a bit, and extended the tracking shot towards the door, so the cut would look less sudden. The cut between the tracking shot and the close-up is still my least favorite cut in the commercial, but I don't know how to improve upon it at this moment. Another part of editing I struggled with was the cut-aways. inserting them and cutting the scenes a part was not very difficult, but it was extremely tedious, especially since the editing program I used did not automatically link all of the clips together, so if one clip was moved, all of them had to be moved. I ended up placing my inserts and cutting away from the main action whenever a step was taken.  

Sound editing was harder than I expected. I had to rerecord my voice over a few times because It was either too quiet or did not sync up with the music. In my video editor, I trimmed my music so it started and ended in a natural spot, and turned it's volume down to 50% so that the voice over could be heard properly.

My final step in the editing process (besides exporting the video) was adding the slogan, 5 decades strong, to the logo. I used the online photo editor Canva to add the text, and then imported the file into the project, and placed it in my timeline accordingly. After adjusting a few of the clips I exported my video project and rewatched it to check for any flaws I could fix.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection (Final Task)

This is my Creative Critical Reflection for my final task. I answered all of the questions in an interview-style by using editing to make it...