Thursday, October 29, 2020

Filming Blog

 The filming process for this commercial took much longer than expected. I began filming a day later than planned on 10/27/2020 and finished on 10/29/2020. The main reason for the initial delay in filming was that my phone, which is my only camera, broke and I had to get a new one. While that was an incredibly inconvenient and expensive problem to fix, my new phone has a much better camera, which I think is reflected in the commercial. I began filming on the morning of the 27th, I had curled my hair the night before and that morning I laid out all of my planned costumes and did my make-up for the first scene. The first scene took several takes and I ended up having to significantly shorten the scene in order to account for the 30 second time limit. Then I did a costume change and prepared for my next scene. I didn't know if I could film this scene on my own as I do not have a tripod or a table high enough for a long shot. While I was filming the extreme eye close-ups I came up with the idea of taping a flat Tupperware lid to my window blinds to create a makeshift tripod. This worked surprisingly well and I was able to get the long shot I planned for without any help. In between scenes I filmed the tilt of the mascara tube. When my mom got home from work we filmed the fourth scene. I had to explain to my mother how to do a low-angle and a tilt, which took her quite a few tries. Our first takes ended up as duds as they either did not tilt up or start at a low angle, or as our first take was, were not videos at all but instead awkward photos. The third scene was probably the easiest to film as it involved no camera movements. However we did have to adjust the camera placement to avoid accidently filming the camera's reflection. By the time we were done we had run out of daylight and it was too dark to film the last scene. On the 28th I did my make-up and put on my costume only to find a large hole in my leggings. The rest of my leggings were in the washing machine and I only had a little time to film so I put on basketball shorts, which still felt appropriate as I was trying to convey the "athleisure" trend of the 2010s. I taught my mother how to do a tracking shot and we filmed the last scene with no real trouble. I though I was done on the 28th but while reviewing the footage I noticed how badly lit some of the close-ups were. So I re-filmed them and added a dutch angle to one of the eye close-ups. The only thing I need to do before editing the project is to dump all of my footage onto my computer.


                                                       My makeshift tripod.

                                              An accidental picture taken while filming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection (Final Task)

This is my Creative Critical Reflection for my final task. I answered all of the questions in an interview-style by using editing to make it...