Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Genre Decision Blog


 After researching multiple film genres I have decided on the genre of my final task. Based on the conventions of the genre and my plans for my film intro, the genre of this project will be drama. I initially wanted my film to be a comedy. Romantic comedies are some of my favorite films to watch, I find them comforting, and while they may be a little simplistic sometimes they are very charming. I think my pitch has some elements common to that subgenre. It has a cute meeting, an unexpected in-universe, expected by the audience romance and two interesting leads. I also thought about how rare it was to see a romantic comedy (or rom-com) that focuses on a same-sex couple. Many films that focus on queer people are dramas, and they often focus on homophobia and the character's struggle with it. They rarely seem to have healthy relationships or happy endings. However, I ultimately decided against comedy for a variety of reasons, the first being: I am not that funny, which is pretty important for a comedy, even if it is just the introduction. My main reason for deciding against comedy and making a drama was that I feel as though I can avoid the tropes of drama as a genre and its queer films that I dislike. I am not interested in making an introduction to a film that seems to be nothing but suffering. I want to make a film that reflects the ups and downs of queer life and love in midcentury America, both the upsetting and the joyful. I also think the genre of drama would fit me well as an artist. I enjoy writing art with overarching themes, and dramatic themes are a big element of drama. I want to focus on loneliness, longing, and learning to love again, which are all themes that fit well within a dramatic theme. My creative writing also tends to be very dramatic, and I'm sure that has translated into my previous projects and will translate into this one as well. Filming a drama could also allow me to use interesting camera shots, angles, and lighting, which may not fit well in other genres. I want this introduction to reflect the best parts of drama as a genre.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection (Final Task)

This is my Creative Critical Reflection for my final task. I answered all of the questions in an interview-style by using editing to make it...