Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Genre Research: Drama

Near the beginning of the year, I researched the genre of drama. I put all of my research into the below PowerPoint. In order to research for this PowerPoint, I watched multiple dramas in full, as well as short clips on youtube in order to take note of lighting, camera angles, and sound. I also did research on individual camera shots, lighting, etc, and the mood they would create for a drama film. For instance, side lighting is common in drama films because it helps accentuate the contrasts in the subject.  I also took note of some of the conventions present in drama films. Dramatic films often focus on their characters overcoming struggles. Be it emotional or physical the driving force of a drama is conflict. Dramas are often more grounded in reality than other genres like comedy or action. Sometimes when researching this project I couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for online, and I was a much less keen viewer than I am now so subtle things like lighting could often go over my head. When this happened I would think of the conventions of the genre and what would fit well within it. Once I realized something was common in the genre of drama it became a lot easier to spot. This project also helped me to evaluate what I liked and didn't like about films. I like to imagine I know a lot about storytelling and a basic enough knowledge of film theory, but I found that when I watched a movie, I watched it passively. I didn't think about the elements I did and didn't like. I either liked a genre or film, or I didn't, I left very little room for nuances. This project allowed me to examine what I liked about the genre and what I didn't. I like how dramas often have excellent story's and well-acted and written characters, but I'm not a big fan of the slow, sometimes boring, pacing and how depressing they can sometimes be. This project not only helped me to further understand the genre of drama, but it also helped me better understand film as a whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection (Final Task)

This is my Creative Critical Reflection for my final task. I answered all of the questions in an interview-style by using editing to make it...