Sunday, March 7, 2021

Production Blog: Filming for Francesca

 On March 7th I began filming with my friend Giulia and I filmed all of the scenes where Francesca was alone. I began by filming the first scene where Francesca was lying in bed. Unfortunately, my neighbors were playing music very loudly, so I decided, with little time to waste on waiting, to remove the audio in editing and add in the sound of the alarm later. My storyboard is not as accurate as I hoped, as the way the room we were filming in was set up did not allow me to get the alarm clock in the frame. In general, I overestimated how much space I would have, and some of the shots look more cramped than expected. However it just might be my own self-criticism, and I will assess whether I need to refilm when I go over the footage for editing. After filming that scene, Giulia changed from her pajama costume to her work costume. While she did that I set up my tripod and reviewed my storyboard.  Filming in the bathroom was not all that easy, because I relied quite heavily upon my tripod at first. This would normally be good, except for the fact that the tripod kept sliding down, or the phone would fall over, and it was generally very messy, after filming the shots filmed from the side, I essentially abandoned the tripod as a filming tool. Although, I still used it for lighting as the ring light was absolutely brilliant. For the medium shots, I sat down on the bathroom counter and placed the camera as far away from Giulia as I could so I could get the distance perfect. I did not use the tripod for this shot, but I did use the ring light as it gave me the side lighting that I wanted so desperately. After filming in the bathroom we took a quick break to eat lunch and for me to write the letter that Francesca writes to her sister. The letter is not my finest work, and none of the letter is in the shots I filmed so I may just end up rewriting it. I filmed the pan with very little trouble, although I did have to toss a few modern objects out of the shot, after noticing how they didn't fit. This scene was probably the easiest to film because of the wide and open spaces and relatively easy directing. This isn't to say there were no mistakes, in fact, there were quite a few. The most humourous was when Giulia attempted to open the door, as it is part of the scene, and it ended up being locked. However, we finished filming in good time and had fun while doing it. I plan on sorting through and dumping some of my footage later this week, and filming the object close-ups. Overall, I found this day of filming to be quite productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection (Final Task)

This is my Creative Critical Reflection for my final task. I answered all of the questions in an interview-style by using editing to make it...